We’ve all been struggling with challenges over the past few years. Economic downturns, closure of the US slaughter plants and other factors have all placed unusual stresses on the horse industry. We at Central Georgia Equine Services would like to help horse owners’ deal with some of these issues. We have combined forces with the Unwanted Horse Coalition and this month we are hosting a castration clinic called Operation Gelding.
The clinic will be held on Saturday October 23, 2010 beginning at 8AM at the Central Georgia Equine Services, Inc. clinic facility.
The following conditions will apply;
- Castrations will be performed by a veterinarian or veterinary students under close supervision by a licensed veterinarian.
- Stallions must be halter broke with two descended testicles and be at least 4 months of age. There is no upper age limit.
- Castrations must be scheduled in advance. Contact CGES for an appointment time.
- Each horse owner will be given a specific time to arrive at the clinic. Horse owners must arrive within 30 minutes or their appointment may be forfeited.
- Each horse must have at least one qualified handler with them at all times. If bringing multiple horses, multiple handlers are required.
- All stallions must be in good health.
- All stallions must be fairly clean (brushed, not bathed) and should arrive in a well fitted halter with a sturdy lead rope.
- Owners should brings stallions’ vaccinations and deworming records to the clinic.
- Geldings will be monitored by the veterinary team following the procedure.
- On average each horse will require an hour of recovery time before he can safely travel home.
- Owners will receive aftercare instructions
- In case of poor weather forecast, Operation Gelding participants will be notified via phone or email the night before the clinic.
- The fee for routine castration and anesthesia will be $100. Some stallions may require additional anesthetic. Vaccinations and Coggins testing will be available to participants at an additional fee. All charges must be paid at the time of service. For your convenience we accept cash, checks, and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard and Discover).
- Stallions who do not meet program requirements due to poor health or testicular abnormalities will not be eligible for this surgery program.
For more information or to schedule an appointment you can contact CGES at 457-825-1981.