It's All New!
It's All New!
In This newsletter I wanted to highlight a new program, a new drug and a new opportunity for our CGES horse owners.You have probably heard of a company called SmartPak. They developed an innovative way to package supplements and medications to make it easier to take care of horses in large barns. The company custom manufactures individual packages of the supplements you select for your horse in an easy-to-feed peel off package that can be placed over the horses' feed. These supplements arrive monthly and store conveniently. The customer selects the products that they would like their horse to receive and a shipment arrives each month.
ColiCare - A New Program
ColiCare - A New Program
This month the SmartPak company announced a program called ColiCare that is designed to offer $7500 in surgical coverage for horses that are enrolled in the program. The program has several requirements which are listed below. The coverage does not extend to routine colic treatment but is designed to cover surgical expenses.
Here is what the company has to say about the ColiCare program;
"Colic is responsible for more deaths in horses than any other disease. A sudden change in your horse's lifestyle or diet, such as different hay or grain, increased stall time, adjustment in activity level, or even dehydration can lead to colic. In fact, research has shown that hay changes alone can increase a horse's risk of colic by 10 times! Luckily studies also suggest there are things you can do to help reduce your horse's risk.
SmartDigest® Ultra offers everything your horse needs for a healthy hindgut. This innovative formula contains specialized ingredients backed by clinical research. But you don't have to take our word for it.
We're so confident that SmartDigest Ultra will help keep your horse's digestive system healthy that we've backed it with a colic reimbursement program, ColiCare. Horses who receive SmartDigest Ultra in SmartPaks may be eligible for this unique benefit, which provides $7,500 of lifetime* coverage toward colic surgery. With SmartDigest Ultra and ColiCare you can sleep soundly knowing your horse has the best digestive product and the best digestive program in his corner".
ColiCare Program DetailsEligibility:
- Must reside in the United States
- Be between the ages of five months (and fully weaned) and twenty-five years of age and may re-enroll each year until 28 years of age.
- Be under the direct care of a licensed veterinarian
- Not had previous colic surgery, experienced colic in the last twelve months or have a history of chronic colic.
- Year-round, daily administration of SmartDigest Ultra maintenance dose (30g) in SmartPaks
- Annual physical exam from your veterinarian
- Annual dental exam from your veterinarian
- Annual vaccinations administered by a veterinarian
- Annual participation in a veterinarian-directed deworming program that includes at least one annual fecal test and two annual deworming administration
Excede - A New Antibiotic
We have a new antibiotic we have been using. The drug is called Excede. Excede is sustained-release formulation of Ceftiofur that provides 10 days of antibiotic coverage with only 2 injections. This is has been a big help in cases where owners cannot give Penicillin injections twice a day or in cases of horses that are dangerous to give injections.
Ceftiofur is a member of the antibiotics class known as Cephalosporins. It has been used for many years under the name of Naxcel. Ceftiofur acts by disrupting the cell wall synthesis of bacteria. The antibiotic attaches to the enzymes that are used to make the bacterial cell wall rigid. When the cell wall is not rigid the cell will burst. It’s kind like building a round pen with no posts, you have boards but nothing to make them stand erect, the round pen falls down.
Exceed also works on both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. Gram positive bacteria like Streptococcus are common in the respiratory system. Gram negative bacteria like E coli are more common in the Gastrointestinal tract. Excede is formulated in a purified oil vehicle. The Excede molecule is slowly released. This allows dosing every 4 days instead of every 12 hours in order to achieve therapeutic levels.
Exceed is manufactured by the Pfizer company, A cool video explains how Excede behaves in the body. You can view the video online by clicking here.
Operation Gelding - A New OpportunityTwo years ago we hosted our first Operation Gelding. This year we are doing it again! We have partnered with the Unwanted Horse Coalition to offer low cost castrations on Saturday November 10, 2012 beginning at 8AM at the CGES clinic facility.. There are a few requirements to be eligible for surgery on this day.
The following conditions will apply;
• Castrations will be performed by a veterinarian or veterinary students under close supervision by a licensed veterinarian.
• Stallions must be halter broke with two descended testicles and be at least 4 months of age. There is no upper age limit.
• Castrations must be scheduled in advance. Contact CGES for an appointment time.
• Each horse owner will be given a specific time to arrive at the clinic. Horse owners must arrive within 30 minutes or their appointment may be forfeited.
• Each horse must have at least one qualified handler with them at all times. If bringing multiple horses, multiple handlers are required.
• All stallions must be in good health.
• All stallions must be fairly clean (brushed, not bathed) and should arrive in a well fitted halter with a sturdy lead rope.
• Owners should brings stallions’ vaccinations and deworming records to the clinic.
• Geldings will be monitored by the veterinary team following the procedure.
• On average each horse will require an hour of recovery time before he can safely travel home.
• Owners will receive aftercare instructions
• In case of poor weather forecast, Operation Gelding participants will be notified via phone or email the night before the clinic.
• The fee for routine castration and anesthesia will be $50. Some stallions may require additional anesthetic. Vaccinations and Coggins testing will be available to participants at an additional fee. All charges must be paid at the time of service. For your convenience we accept cash, checks, and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard and Discover).
• Stallions who do not meet program requirements due to poor health or testicular abnormalities will not be eligible for this surgery program.
For more information or to schedule an appointment you can contact CGES at 457-825-1981.
Employment OpportunityCGES is currently hiring stable attendants for our barn crew. Positions are open for both Morning and Evening shifts. Morning shifts begin at 7AM, evening shifts begin at 4PM, This is part time work and prior experience is required. Applications are available at the clinic office Monday through Friday 8am to 5PM. You can also download an application on our website by clicking here.
Surfing for DiscountsDiscounts are available on our Facebook page. You can visit our page at by clicking here to see our program for Senior Horse Owners and the September Special.
Well that's all for now, I hope you enjoyed this newsletter.